Friday, September 26, 2008

Day 14 - Glacier National Park (continued)

I decided to shift a day away from Yellowstone and add it to Glacier since I had heard some great things and really wanted to see as much as possible. Plus, as someone else pointed out, Yellowstone would be much easier to reach in the future. Without seeing Yellowstone yet, I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. I used today to venture to the other park entrances and see what they had to offer which included Many Glacier and St. Mary. While Many Glacier was nice, I was really impressed with St. Mary. In addition to some of the sights along the way, I hiked just over 3 miles round trip to 2 waterfalls: St. Mary's and Virginia. After venturing to see some waterfalls at other parks, I was skeptical about how spectacular they would be. Much to my surprise, both were stunning. The first one on the hike, St. Mary's, could be heard for quite a distance and sounded like a passing train (pic 6). The second was a much taller but had much less volume in comparison (pic 7) but also had some beautiful red and yellow rocks just under the surface of where the water fell (pic 8). Both were well worth the hike and as always, I ran into some really friendly people along the way, including a couple from Los Angeles who were doing their own "National Park Extravaganza" but with alot more parks and alot more time. Enjoy the photos.





1 comment:

A.E. Bayne said...

WOW! Incredible pictures. Just a random passerby here, but the pictures grabbed my attention.