Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 8 - Yosemite National Park (continued)

I survived my first night in the park. No bears ransacked my tent, broke into my car or ate anyone so I'm happy. After seeing alot of the main parts of the park yesterday, I used today to catch up on some things and travel North of the main valley to see the giant sequoias and get some views of places along the way. After traveling North about 20 mins, I took a mile hike to see the sequoias. The trees were just massive - as much as 12 feet around and estimated to be 3000 years old. I'm off to figure out how to cook canned tuna, corn, and whatever else I can find in my bear proof crate. Enjoy.






4 comments:

Nicole said...

I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to say your pictures are amazing. I've always wanted to do something like what you're doing. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Like the previous comment, I just came across your blog. I love it. I've been to quite a few of the places (yosemite, grand canyon, sedona) We want to go to Bryce sometime. I'll keep checking back. Wishing you safe travels.

Matt said...

Thanks Nicole and Kelly. Just keep in mind, Nicole that it's never too late to start and you never know when the opportunity will present itself. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

I also just stumbled across your blog. you have an amazing eye for photography.. in fact, you have two amazing eyes. Are you single? When ar eyou returning to Florida, maybe we should have a happy hour in your honor.. you can show a slideshow and tell stories.

The night I slept in Yosemite, we woke up to what sounded like a bear or mountain lion walking outside and scraping on the outside wall (we were in a cabin). Every time I would get up to peek and look, or even talk, the noise would stop.. but just as we were going back to sleep it would start again. Finally, after like an hour of this I realized the sound was coming from INSIDE the room.... and UNDER our bed. I jumped off the bed, and turned on the lights [partially blinding myself]. A small little mouse went scurrying back under the bed. The LOUD crunching sound was him munching on a natures valley bar in Mandy's bag.

We got a very early start to our hike that morning.